Unhinged Ramblings.

The Description. It describes. A blog. My blog. I blog. Here.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

That new c++

I read recently that c++ was getting another overhaul. Well, Ive been exposed to the current c++ standard for 10 years now, and I still dont like it.

That said, it strikes me that c++ could use a lot of improvement. Especially in the area of code safety. In the modern world of multi core CPUs and SQL injection attacks it seems that there is a lot of scope for the base language to try and help programmers out a bit more by tracking variable tainting and synchronization.

Imagine if c++ had keywords that allows variables (and functions) to be marked as tainted, or as synchronized - just as variables are currently marked as const.

Then the compiler enforce rules (by way of emitting errors) should the programmer attempt to assign tainted data to an untainted variable - and access to "synchronized" variables would likewise cause compiler errors if called from an unsynchronized context. All done, neatly, at compile time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home